As a busy mom, I am always looking for an easy, healthy breakfast idea. Overnight oats are the perfect choice. Not only do they take less than 5 minutes to prepare, you can get creative with the recipes. My kids love their overnight oats with bananas and chocolate chips of course.
Overnight oats are basically a no-cook method of making oatmeal. The oats are soaked overnight in milk or yogurt. This allows the oats to absorb the liquid to produce a creamy pudding-like consistency. The flavor combinations for this make ahead breakfast are endless!
Ingredients for a single serving:
1 ripe banana (1/2 mashed in with the oats, half for slicing once the oats are ready)
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
1/4 cup dairy-free vanilla yogurt
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp maple syrup (or honey if you are not vegan)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Peel and mash your banana in a mixing bowl.
- Add the rolled oats, milk, yogurt, maple syrup, chia seeds, and cinnamon.
- Combine all ingredients. Cover the container and refrigerate overnight
- Remove your overnight oats from the fridge and add your toppings. I like to add sliced bananas and almonds..or vegan chips!
- These overnight oats are great when eaten cold, but can just as easily be warmed if you prefer warm oats.